To make Canberra more sustainable:
Transport: – car free lane, get people on bikes; less parking in the city for cars; less cars, increase sustainable transport; air travel ‘budgets’ for gov’t and business; better bike lanes; faster changing lights for bikes; free bike checks; economic incentives for sustainable living and vice versa.
Purchasing / Food: – encourage vegetarianism; more community gardens; roof top gardens on high-rise; encourage more local growers markets.
Water: – No sprinklers on at ANU during the day, grey water systems, compulsory rainwater tanks for new houses; ban use of tap water on gardens.
Community Building: – encourage retrofitting of houses; better designed developments / blocks for natural heating and cooling; community oriented designed developments; encourage sharing of things / stuff eg lawn mowers within communities.
Energy: – mandatory solar energy; more bike friendly policies / rules; more stringent restrictions on new houses eg solar; audit energy use by Government Departments and change; zero emissions targets for government departments; improve bus service; energy rating / education for all appliances; encourage using more energy efficient appliances; not change extra for green power; tax carbon emissions to make green power cheaper; solar street lights; solar energy tariffs improved; turn off lights at night in unused buildings; charge the true cost of fossil fuel energy; better initiatives for reducing energy use; compulsory solar hot water heaters for new houses.
Other – stop logging of old growth forests; make recycling and composting mandatory / have incentives eg free waste removal of you recycle; infect media with the idea that over consumption is NOT SEXY
- Cameron: HEAT audit @ home; speak at Gungahlin Sustainability Fair on a Green Xmas; plant fruit trees and a veggie patch
- Rachael: put clean comfort on bedroom windows; put cardboard strips along the top of curtains.
- Serena: Use Garden safe dishwashing and laundry liquids; shop at farmers markets; fit efficient shower heads and light globes.
- Millie: install a water efficient shower head;
- Esther: Bike Ride to work, go on green energy
- Louise: plant a veggie garden; go to youth lead, organise a cultural exchange
- Clare: sustain myself by Yoga etc; offset my flight emissions
- Julia: ride everywhere; go to markets and food co-op
- James: ride a bike more, car pool where possible, reduce length of showers
- Jasmine: – shop at second hand clothes stores; plant veggie / herb garden
- Guide for renting sustainably
- Create posters to promote ACT otherWISE workshops
- Green Kulture Tent @ Corinbank
- Corinbank Resource Rescue Team
- “Save water – don’t masturbate” campaign on uni campus
- Collect wine casks for Derek’s roof (insulation)
- Green Film night
- Facilitate Living Smart Program in Canberra
- Eco-songwriting workshop for young musicians
- Set up a community garden with vegetables and indigenous plants
- Start up sustainable schools initiative at Narrabundah and other schools
- Promote energy efficiency / green design for new homes
- Speak to local supermarkets about introducing more sustainable products
- Set up a green group at work
- Set up a bicycle taxi between civic and Barton